Sometimes, we get the urge to travel, vague about destination and with an open ended itinerary. You know, when that holy-seeming openness takes over your character like the first philosophers who were peripatetic. Unfortunately many people may be discouraged to undertake these adventurous ventures because we live in a digital age where most of us are practically required to have an online presence constantly.
Public Wi-Fi isn’t our favorite way to stay connected on the road. Weak signal, slow speeds, and dire hotel networks can make getting online an ordeal while traveling. For most of us, being Internet-deprived on the road is little more than an annoyance, but for others (such as business travelers or online entrepreneurs), not being able to log in is a real problem.
If you may need reliable Internet when you’re traveling, (probably because of prior online engagement or for directional purposes) relying on shared Wi-Fi networks is probably not the best approach. Instead, especially when if you have multiple devices or a locked smartphone, you can take a connection wherever you go with a mobile hotspot.
Mobile hotspots, also known as pocket Wi-Fi’s or Mifi devices, typically come in the form of a small gadget that connects to a local cell network in whatever country you’re in. It shares its data connection over a private Wi-Fi network, letting you connect several of your other devices to the Internet simultaneously.
Many internet provider companies rent or sell cheap mobile hotspots, typically at a high daily cost for international use. Just like smartphones, though, you can also buy these devices unlocked, which allows you to insert a local SIM card, no matter what country or continent you might be in, and to take advantage of the much-cheaper data rates.
If you are planning to travel in the year 2018 and would want to have to have a steady internet connection, here is a list of 3 of the best portable top unlocked mobile hotspot choices, complete with their best features
1. ZTE Velocity MF923 for the simple people
AT&T Velocity provides mobile WIFI that is there when you need it with a secure network and easy connection process. It can actually connect 10 devices at once and provide up to 10 hours of continuous use. Velocity offers WI-FI on demand to support the needs of your demand life. This makes it a good choice for travelers unfamiliar with mobile hotspots, or those who crave simplicity.
- Up to 10 hours of battery life
- Supports 4G/LTE, 3G and 2G networks
- Supports up to 10 devices
- Setup is simple. Just turn it on, and let it create the Wi-Fi network with a default password that you can change later
- There’s an intuitive, touchscreen interface. You can operate it like you would a smartphone, with all relevant information easily visible
- Price is reasonable, typically well under $100
- You should get at least 3G coverage in most countries
2. Glocal Me G3 for the frequent travelers
For the people who are frequent travelers who may want to stay connected even when traveling overseas, this is the best option for you. This Wi-Fi device can allow you to roam with the inbuilt data plans or using a local sim card to slash costs.
- 15 hours of battery life
- Runs on 4G/LTE, with 3G and 2G supported
- Up to 150Mbps download and 50Mbps upload
- Supports up to 5 devices
- Includes 1GB of global data, more can be purchased later
- Has a “cloud” (i.e., internal) SIM built in, and two slots for local Nano-sized SIM cards
- Good coverage. It works in over 100 countries, letting you use the internal SIM to get connected as soon as you arrive, with data package pricing that’s often surprisingly reasonable
- Data packages can either be global, working anywhere the device has coverage, or for a single country or region at a lower cost
- The device also supports Nano SIMs from local companies in the countries where it offers coverage. You can switch between the internal and local SIM(s) with a couple of taps
- Simple touch-screen interface
- Can also be used as a portable battery to charge other devices
3. Huawei E5786S ,best for fast downloads
Supporting the next gen LTE advanced CAT 6 network, the E5786 pushes download speeds to an incredible 300 Mbps; which is double the speed of LTE CAT 4. If you are one of the travelers who need fast and reliable network. This is the best option for you. One can combine energy efficiency with superior speeds thanks to the world’s first HI Silicon LTE cat 6 chip set that runs on a powerful 28 nm HPM cortex A9 processor. This device also comes with a sleek and light design that makes it easy to slip in a pocket.
- 10 hours of battery life
- 4G/LTE, supports 3G and 2G
- Up to 300Mbps download and 50Mbps upload
- Supports up to 10 devices
- Unbeatable speed when downloading, with a max of 300Mbps vs. 150Mbps (or less) on most other devices
- Double the bands. Unlike most other devices, E5786 offers both 2.4GHz and 5GHz options for its Wi-Fi network, and dual-band LTE
- Battery life remains decent despite increased power: 10 hours, plus 500 in standby
- You can charge your phone or other USB devices from it in a pinch
- Super easy to travel with: at 0.6 inches and 5 ounces, it’s one of the smallest MiFis on the market